Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Killer Loop

We did manage to break something. The bridge


The water was so high we had to do a little portage

I thought I could squeeze a big loop in after working a 16hr shift and still get enough sleep before I had to go Back to work. The theory was sound, but the ride lasted a lot longer than planned. We started out great with a nice warm up climb. Then some nice flowy single track.
Avid Elixer brakes have one known weakness. They have to be bled, a lot. Unfortunately this problem left Cody unable to ride the downhill section that was the whole point of the ride.
On our way down we lost about a half an hour clearing a tree out of the trail. At this point people started to run out of water. We pushed on to the campground to get more. Most of us were able to refill there. Dave wasn't so lucky, cammelback bladders can be a nightmare to open. Three of us couldn't budge the lid. On the BRUTAL climb out things started to deteriorate. Everyone ran out of food and people started bonking. Garrett had give up riding to walk for fear of falling off. I think Dave was more exhausted than I have ever seen him.
In the end everyone made it out OK. Coldsprings mini mart proved to be an oasis with food and Gator aide. I ended up driving Dave's tuck down the hill so he had time to stop shaking. I was able to get a whole three hours sleep before I had to go back to work.
Awesome day overall 30 miles 6.5hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment