Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Work saved Tom

 Sean and I were going to take Tom up to North Yuba on Sunday, but he got stuck working. I think that saved him. On our way up there we read a trail report saying the lower section was impassable. So we rode the top portion from Downieville to Goodyears Bar then crossed the highway to Halls ranch trail. I've been looking at this ride for 7 years but it never worked out. The climb up Halls ranch has to be one of the worst climbs I can remember. After pedaling as far as we could stand it we still pushed for another 45min. The only good thing about walking our bikes was that it freed up a hand to swipe the face flies away. We kept telling ourselves the down hill will be worth it. If we  been exhausted that might have been true. At the to you turn on Fiddle creek trail. What we did not know was the name of the trail is actually Fiddle Creek ridge trail. So our "downhill" was infested with gut punching climbs that we just didn't even try to pedal up.
If there is another way to the top of Fiddle Creek trail we may go back someday but I don't ever see myself climbing Halls Ranch again. The views from the top are pretty cool but there are so many better trails in Downieville it's just not worth it. In this picture I think Packers Saddle is right behind my head. It ended up taking over 4 fours to go 30 miles. The crazy part was the first 10.5 miles was on pavement and only gained a couple hundred feet. It was about 3800 ft. of gain in 20 miles of brutal trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment