Monday, August 15, 2011

Found the creak

My Firebird has been making a creaking sound that I couldn't find for a while. I greased the headset, pivot linkage, seat post, and every other part I could think of. The only thing I hadn't checked yet was the bottom bracket, so I assumed it had to be there. Fortunately Lucas was riding my bike around the parking lot yesterday. He found 4 frame cracks. If it wasn't for his discovery who knows when I would have "found" them. We were about to ride some serous rock trails. I don't want to imagine what it would have been like if it let go mid drop.
It is a little hard to see in the photo but there are 4 cracks. 2 across the I beam and 2 following the weld.
One in the fore ground one in the back. I guess I should have washed my bike more often, then maybe I would have found them myself. Pivot's web site says all there frames have a 3 year warranty, I guess it's time to test it.

No comments:

Post a Comment