Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 3, 2010

About 50ft from the top of a gruelling dirt road climb I was standing up pedaling with all I had (Very happy to be in front) when a loud crunch had me walking the rest of the hills. I was riding my Niner AIR 9 with WTB laser disk wheels. The bike is set up with a single 32 tooth ring in the front. That usually leaves me out of the saddle climbing on anything steep. The 29 inch wheels and stiff responsive scandium frame make it as easy as I could hope for. Unfortunately the WTB hub was not up to the mass of meat pushing down on those pedals. It turns out I sheared two teeth of the drive hub. WTB was very quick to warranty the hub and I had new parts in my hands in a matter of a couple days. Unfortunately this is not the first time this wheel has let me down.

About the seventh ride on this bike I was able to brake a spoket in half and rip it right out of the cassette. I'm not sure if it was torque or bad alignment or what but a SRAM 990 cassette is not crappy hardware. The wheel jumped out of the rear drop outs and smacked into the frame. Sram was nice enough to warranty the cassette but I still had to replace the rim and rotor.

No comments:

Post a Comment